Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Monday Snacks -- Chocolate Biscotti



In an effort to curb my spending spree on snacks for my kids each grocery shopping trip, I pledged to make snacks for my kids from the pantry shelves. Each monday I will make a snack for the week and so Monday's posts will typically be a snack or treat that is cost efficient and of course yummy. I mean you can't always fool those little voracious after school appetites.

3 REASONS I LOVE BISCOTTI
It requires very small ingredient portions
It is so tasty and comes in lots of flavors
My kids love it!
I recently rediscovered the large quantity of cocoa powder at the back of my pantry. I had bought it, let's just say a really long time ago, because I thought it would make a great addition to my food storage. I mean who can really go very long without some chocolate? Yesterday, I used it for the very first time. I love biscotti. It is not exactly the most enjoyable thing to make due to its tendency to be really really sticky. But let's face it biscotti is really expensive at the store and yet so cheap to make at home. Here is my recipe for the chocolate version.

3 TB softened butter
2/3 cup sugar (I used 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup Splenda) we have sugar issues in our home.
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 Cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup nuts chopped (use what you have) I used pinenuts because I have a huge Costco bag in my refrigerator.

In a small mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Beat into butter mixture and then stir in raisins and nuts.
Dough will be sticky. I really suggest adding an extra Tsp or two of flour at this point.
Divide dough in half and place on a baking sheet, coated with nonstick cooking spray. With lightly floured hands shape each portion into a 12-inch long by 1 1/4-inch thick and 4-in wide rectangle.
Cook at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until set and small cracks form on surface. Carefully remove to wire racks and cool for five minutes.

Transfer to a cutting board; cut with a serrated knife into 3/4 inch slices. Place cut side down on baking sheets. Bake for 5 minutes on each side. Remove to wire wracks to cool.

Drizzle with some melted almond bark or this frosting recipe.
2/3 cup sugar
4 to 5 teaspoons fat-free milk
1-2 tsp vanilla extract.
Combine sugar, vanilla and enough milk to acheive a drizzling consistency.

What is the pink milk?
Here is another little secret that I learned from my Mother-in-law that I amped up a little bit. Reconstitute a quart of that powdered milk. Chill and add it at 1/4 or 1/2 ratios to the good milk in your refrigerator. I add a little sugar-free raspberry syrup to make it even more disguised and drinkable. I buy my syrup in the coffee section of the grocery store.
Dunk your biscotti and know that you just brought a little Italian out of your food storage.

I would love to see your cocoa powder ideas or recipes.

1 comment:

Trinity said...

Now those look really good and you have now made me hungry.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin