Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Homemade Graham Crackers/Cookies



And the winner is . . .
I did not get my snack post done on Monday because I have been trying out graham cracker recipes. I really want to figure out how to make my own graham crackers. I tried two recipes and I have one still to try. Here is the verdict. Recipe #1 was the winner with the kids, although it didn't really have that real graham taste it had a similar texture and the cracker/cookies were good enough that they disappeared in one day. They did, however, think they worked good as peanut butter smore crackers. My only issue with these easy to make crackers: The recipe only makes about a dozen crackers. I will definitely double next time. The second recipe I tried was not as big of a hit and it made a ton of crackers. Fortunately, chocolate fixes everything. It's going to be smore week here as we go through the 3 dozen crackers I have left over from the unfavored recipe #2.

I do think that if I invested in some actual graham flour the first recipe would gain that graham taste. I also want to try the recipe from 101cookbooks.com. It is a little more complicated but I will probably give it a try. You can find that recipe here.

Graham Cracker recipe adapted from Practical Preparedness by Tina Monson
1 C whole wheat flour
1/3 C plus 1 T sugar
1/3 C butter
2 T Milk
1/2 C oat flour (see oat flour note below)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 T honey

1. Mix flours, sugar, and soda.
2. Heat butter and honey and stir until melted.
3. Pour into dry ingredients and stir until well mixed. Let chill for 30 to 45 minutes.
4. Press dough out onto ungreased cookie sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and roll until 1/4 inch thick. The plastic wrap will keep the dough from sticking to the rolling pin.
5. Trim edges and cut dough into 10 to 12 uniform rectangles.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes until golden.
6. Prick crackers with fork as they come out of the oven and let cool completely.

Oat Flour Note
Oat flour can be pricey in the store. But you can make your own in about 30 seconds. Use a blender or food processor to grind regular oats into a fine flour like consistency.

Tip. For a healthy smore snack make a sandwich with peanut butter and dark chocolate.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin