Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Mexican Pizza



Featured Food Storage Items: Canned Diced Tomatoes and Canned Chicken

I found the original recipe for this tasty pizza on foodbuzz at the Muir Glen site. It was a perfect food storage meal and I love that it helped me find a new use for at least one can of the new flat of diced tomatoes I bought. I did change it up just a little. I thought it could use some warm, melt in your mouth avocado topping and I added a little wheat flour to the cornmeal crust. I also think this Mexican Pizza would be tasty with some corn on the top. Mmm. A little roasted cheesy corn sounds like a taste of sunshine to me. And we are seriously lacking in the sunshine department lately. Pizzas make a great food storage meal when you whip them up from scratch and this recipe adds a little variety to your pizza repertoire.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour or 3/4 wheat and 3/4 all-purpose
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons regular active dry yeast
1/4 teaspoon coarse (kosher or sea) salt
3/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
Additional cornmeal
2 cups Mexican cheese blend (8 oz)
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I used a large can of chicken, because it is already cooked and preshredded.)
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 medium avocado chopped
1/2 Cup corn
1/4 cup sliced green onions (4 medium)

1. Heat oven to 450°F. In medium bowl, mix 3/4 cup of the flour, the sugar, yeast and salt. Stir in warm water and oil. Beat with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on high speed 1 minute. Stir in 1/3 cup cornmeal and remaining 3/4 cup flour to make a soft dough.
2. On lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. I know it is cheating but I used my Bosch to knead. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
3. Spray large cookie sheet with cooking spray; sprinkle with additional cornmeal. On cookie sheet, press dough into 14×10-inch rectangle; prick with fork. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges just begin to turn brown.
4. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese blend. Top with chicken, tomatoes and avocado and corn if using. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake 6 to 8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and edges are golden brown. Sprinkle with green onions.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin