Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Pumpkin Muffins


Some would say that Nestle knows its chocolate chips and I would say they know their pumpkin. Once again they have me hooked with one of their pumpkin recipes. This time it is pumpkin muffins. Their recipe was for mini muffins and because I was absent a mini muffin tin I just amped it up to regular muffins. The best part of these breakfast delights: they are low cal. Nestle claims that 3 mini muffins equals 100 calories. Therefore I am using my mad math skills to claim that 1 muffin measures out at approximately 100 calories.
Unfortunately, I loved them so much I ate three big ones by noon. Oops. My kids loved them too and all I could think while they gobbled away was "hee hee vegetables for breakfast." In a family where everyone wishes cereal morning could be every morning it was great to find a delicious healthy diversion.
I altered this version very slightly by omitting the granola topping(gasp I was out of granola) and adding a few slivered almonds for the topping instead.
1 Cup Whole wheat flour or Whole grain pastry flour
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice or 3/4 cinnamon, 1/4 nutmeg and dash of allspice
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 Cup light packed brown sugar
1/4 Cup oil
1 - 15 oz can pumpkin
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 Cup sliced almonds.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line or grease muffin tin. Combine flour, spice, baking soda and baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Beat sugar and oil in medium bowl until blended. Add pumpkin and eggs and beat well. Graduall sitr in flour mixture. Spoon batter into 12 muffin tins 2/3 full. Sprinkle with almonds and Bake for 15 to minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and cool completely on wire racks.




post signature

2 comments:

Jenn said...

These would be perfect for breakfast with a nice cup of coffee. Heck, I'd eat them any time of the day. =)

Chef Tess said...

Thank you for reminding me again how much I adore pumpkin muffins! Yea! Those look divine!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin