Monday, August 24, 2009

Get Well Soon Taco Soup


I was still a young mom when my sweet friend and neighbor Karynn brought me this soup. I was sick with a nasty cold and she had the cure. No, not chicken noodle soup but a make your eyes water and your sinuses clear out taco soup. It was not the last time she brought me this cure for a cold. I love this soup on so many levels. It is delicious, it is easy, it is extremely pantry friendly and most of all it always reminds me of Karynn. Everything but the cheese and sour cream can come straight out of your food storage. And if you get it spicy enough it really does clear out a stuffy head. I make it milder for my non spicy loving kids but when I am trying to kick a cold, like I am this week, I spice it up with more chili powder.

Karynn's Get Well Soon Taco Soup (With a very few changes)

2 or 3 cups shredded chicken (You can use canned chicken for this or a preroasted chicken)
1 can Corn with liquid
1 can Kidney beans with liquid
1 - 4 oz can Green chilies or add a jalapeno with its seeds for more heat
1/3 to 1/2 Cup salsa
1 can Stewed tomatoes chopped with liquid
1 to 2 Cans of Water
3 tsp chili powder for mild soup. Add more chili powder for more heat
1 Dash garlic powder
1 dash salt
1 or 2 squirts of lime juice (optional)

Toppings
Baked corn chips (we love the Chili lime chips by Tostitos) they add a little kick to the soup. If you don't have the lime flavored chips, add a little lime juice.
Sour Cream
Grated Cheese

Directions: Combine all soup ingredients in a large pot and simmer until heated through, about 15 minutes.
Top with chips, cheese and sour cream.

Tip:
If you want a thinner soup add more water.

post signature

5 comments:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

What a nice get well soup! And I love the toppings! :)

Diana Bauman said...

Love this!

Jessie said...

great soup, this will definitely scare away a cold while it's tingling the taste buds

Chris Stewart said...

In my house we eat tacos every Monday, now if someone is sick we can still go for it.

Karynn said...

You are so sweet. Thanks for making me feel somewhat useful! :-) love ya. I think we'll have this tonight since half the family has colds. ;-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin