Saturday, November 7, 2009

Asian Tuna Casserole


Featured Food Storage or Pantry Items: Tuna Fish, instant ramen noodle packs, Cream of Mushroom Soup


I know what you are thinking: Another Tuna Fish Casserole recipe. Yep. But this one has an Asian twist and since I am always looking for some variety for my canned tuna, I thought this would be a great addition, especially if you keep those instant ramen packs in your pantry. I don't actually stock up on these. But they are so ridiculously cheap that even if you just use the noodles without the seasoning packet you are saving a bundle.


The family verdict on this recipe: First, I really liked it. It was lower fat than my standard tuna casserole and it had some crunchiness from the cashews and celery that I appreciated. My husband didn't love it (but he still liked it) because he is not an Asian noodle fan or a nuts in his casserole fan. My daughters liked it but they ate around the mushrooms. So, if you like all those things you may find this tuna casserole version a tasty change of pace.


TUNA AND CASHEW BAKE

From the One Pot Meals cookbook (which is good cookbook stuff, by the way)


3 cans of tuna fish, drained (the original recipe called for 2 cans)

1/2 Cup sliced mushrooms

1 Cup unsalted cashews

3 scallions or green onions trimmed and sliced

3 stalks celery, sliced

4 packages ramen noodles, flavor packet discarded Cooked according to package directions and drained.

1 can cream of mushroom soup

4 Tb water

1 Tb soy sauce


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place tuna in a bowl and break apart. Add mushrooms, cashes, onions, celery and 2/3 of the cooked noodles. Stir gently until fillings are distributed evenly in the noodles. Spoon mixture into casserole dish.


Pour soup into a separate bowl and add water and soy sauce. Stir to combine. Pour soup mixture over casserole. Top with the remaining noodles, sprinkle with pepper. Bake for 45 minutes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin