Monday, December 14, 2009

Puffy Artichoke Pockets



Featured Pantry Item/Food Storage: Artichoke Hearts and canned spaghetti sauce


When I was given my first opportunity to participate in Foodbuzz's tastemaker program, I was excited. Who doesn't love puff pastry? So, I have waited for genius to strike as my Pepperidge Farm puff pastry sheets waited in the freezer. I really wanted to find a way to stay true to the theme of this blog. And then I finally remembered how I have been wanting to feature artichoke hearts as a pantry staple. OK maybe you don't stock up on marinated artichoke hearts. But I really can't live without them. Perhaps you have a small jar stashed in your fridge or on a back shelf. But I have to buy the Costco size container. You see, artichoke hearts truly are a vital ingredient in my food storage. They bring a little zing and sophistication to any dish. In my world they are comfort food.
I am also a huge fan of pizza and spaghetti sauce. I can't help myself, I am part Italian. I consider it a personal affront to my ancestors when my daughters tell me they don't like spaghetti sauce. But they will learn. They will have to. And so I combined three of my Italian favorites with some puff pastry and the result was a keeper. I will make this again and again. These little artichoke puffs make a great side dish or an appetizer. You can also trade out the artichoke hearts with zucchini slices.
Puffy Artichoke Pockets
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
9 marinated artichoke heart halves or zucchini slices
9 tsp of spaghetti sauce
freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
1 egg
1 tbsp water
Thaw and unfold one puff pastry sheet.
Cut at folds and then cut each section into 3 squares.
Beat egg and water. Brush onto puff pastry. Place 1 tsp of sauce on each square, add a pinch of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and top with 1 artichoke half. Fold opposite corners over each other to form a square envelope. Seal edges. Brush with more egg wash.
Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until flaky, puffed and golden. Let cool at least 5 minutes.

5 comments:

Claudia said...

This is: a. delicious and b. I stock up on artichoke hearts as a pantry item. Well done.

Frieda Loves Bread said...

What a creative combination! Welcome to the Tastemaker program! I'll have to hurry and post what I made ~

Carol Egbert said...

I love artichokes. THis looks like a great way to use them.

Heather said...

Checking pantry for artichokes... none in site. A trip to the store is in order definitely!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

I love artichokes and these pockets sound wonderful! thanks for sharing

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin