Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Chicken Noodle Soup on Pantry Shelf - -A Review

We are soup people in the fall and winter and my family especially loves chicken noodle soup. I have a great homemade recipe they love but while it is soup season, it is also cold season. Sometimes we are too tired, too sick and too busy to do a full blown homemade soup. Now my kids and husband love Campbells chicken noodle soup. I am not a fan, unless you count how easy it is.

So, I found this dehydrated soup mix in a small can -- Not one of those huge #10 cans that feeds an army and needs to be used within a certain amount of time once it is opened. Nope, it was a smaller version of Auguson Farms chicken noodle soup. And it was MSG free. And it had eight servings -- perfect for my family of five.  We take big soup servings. And it only cost $3.50 a can at Fresh Market. Umm that was a review waiting to happen. So, it was soup night and I was busy and tired and a little sick. Perfect.

So here is the verdict. I definitely like it better than Campbells. It is heartier and more filling. It is not as good as the homemade stuff. Of course not. But it is so simple to make and it has some nice thick noodles. It does need a thick slice of bread or a roll to create a meal. It's not that hearty that it can stand on its own. I think it is a good meal for $3.50 and my son said. "Yep it is pretty good." I went out and bought two more cans for my food storage.

Now just for fun I also bought these cute soup bowls for a $1.25 a piece at Fresh Market. We are desperately low on soup bowls in this house and we eat soup every Tuesday. I could not resist.


To make the soup.
Simply whisk soup into 8 1/2 cups of boiling water. Reduce to low and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin