Thursday, December 16, 2010

Corn and Smoked Sausage Chowder


I now have two favorite corn chowder recipes. The first is meant to be used with fresh corn and so I call that my summer corn chowder. This chowder is definitely my winter chowder. It is creamy and satisfying and uses ingredients easily stored or found in the pantry. I love smoked sausage and keilbasa. It is one of my favorite go to foods. It stores for quite a while and it adds richness to every dish. Once again I went to my favorite source for kielbasa recipes: gomeat.com Once again they gave me a tasty dish that will now become a staple in my house.

A few notes:

This dish uses potatoes, canned corn and onions, all good pantry staples.
I used fresh milk but in a pinch you could reconstitute powdered milk making this a real food storage meal.
I have a lactose intolerant child in my house. I did not serve her this soup. She had the princess Campbells Chicken Noodle. I just did not think Soy Milk was going to cut it in this recipe. Plus the butter was not going to do her any good either. Feel free to try soy milk if you want. Just let me know how it turns out.

1 pkg  of smoked sausage, cubed
1/4 Cup butter or margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
4 Cups milk
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
2 Cups cubed potatoes (cooked and drained)
Shredded cheese

1. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat
2. Add onion and cook and stir for 4 minutes or until tender
3. Add flour, salt and pepper and cook stirring constantly for 1 minute
4. Add milk. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute
5. Add corn and sausage. Return to boil.
6. Reduce heat to medium lown and simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Add potatoes and heat through. Top each serving with cheese.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin