Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mediterranean Style Tuna Lasagna



Featured Food Storage or Pantry Item: Tuna Fish

I am so in love with the sauce in this lasagna. It may just be my new favorite way to use canned tuna. I know it sounds scary. Tuna in lasagna? But the Italians often add tuna to their pasta dishes. Yes, canned tuna. Now granted they use tuna canned in oil and I don't buy my tuna in oil but there is an easy remedy for that in this recipe.

This recipe is so easy and the homemade sauce (which is also simple) tastes so much better than the canned spaghetti sauce. I promise you will love this different way to use your tuna. Plus it is a cheaper version of lasagna especially if you buy your tuna on sale like I do. Raise your hand if you get sick of tuna casserole. I mean if I had to live off of Tuna I would be tired of all those cream based recipes out there. That is why I am so excited that it can be made into a tasty red sauce for lasagna.

Now I played with a recipe I found on the internet and I found that this sauce really only makes enough for a half lasagna -- 6 hefty servings. (which is perfect for my family of 5). Double this recipe if you want to make a bigger lasagna.

8 No boil lasagna noodles
2 Cans tuna (in oil or water)
1 Tb of Olive Oil if using tuna canned in water
1 green or yellow bell pepper (I actually used a seeded anaheim and it turned out great)
2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 can crushed tomatoes (12 oz)
2 TB basil
2 TB of Italian Seasoning
1 Tsp of Crushed Red pepper
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 eggs
1 carton of part skim
Ricotta (smaller carton)
1 Cup of shredded white or medium cheddar
1/8 Cup shredded parmesan cheese.

Heat oven to 350 degrees farenheit.

Heat oil from tuna can or the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chopped garlic to olive oil and cook for about 1 minute.

Add tuna and chopped pepper to the oil. Heat through and add crushed tomatoes, crushed red pepper and 3/4 of the basil and 3/4 of the Italian seasonings. Add chicken broth and simmer for 10 minutes or until partly reduced and thickened.

Mix ricotta and eggs.

Layer igredients in a 9x9 pan. 2 Noodles, sauce, ricotta mixture, a small handful of cheddar cheese. Repeat until you reach the top of dish. Top layer should be noodles, sauce, ricotta mixture about a half a cup of cheese, parmesan cheese and remaining basil and italian seasoning. (In the picture you will see that I did not top my last noodle layer with sauce. The topw was too crunchy. Don't do that.)

Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin