Thursday, March 3, 2011

Agave Sweetened Strawberry Mango Freezer Jam

That is a mouthful.


I have been experimenting with agave syrup as a sweetener. I am trying to stay off refined sugars and that includes in my jams. I never have liked a jam where I can taste more sugar than fruit anyway. I usually make reduced sugar jams.

This jam was pure experiment. I have never sweetened my jam with Agave and I almost never make freezer jam. And I decided to combine mango and strawberries.

How did it turn out? LOVE IT. It is so fresh and delicious it tastes like I am putting a strawberry mango smoothie onto my toast. Plus I love that Agave syrup is not a refined sugar and has a low glycemic index.

Now I use a special pectin for my low sugar jams called Pomona's pectin. It works wonders with no sugar or low sugar jams and jellies. I buy mine at the health food store but it can also be ordered online from www.pamonaspectin.com



The recipe
4 cups of sliced strawberries
2 cups of mangos diced.
(you need enough fruit to make 4 cups mashed total)
1/2 C agave syrup or to taste.
1/4 Cup lemon juice
3 tsp of pomona's pectin powder
4 to 7 tsp of calcium water (the calcium water is part of the pomona's pectin pack. It tells you how to make it in the package.)
3/4 Cup Water


1. Wash and rinse air tight freezer safe containers.

2. Prepare fruit. I gave mine a pulse or two in the blender since mangos can be hard to mash. Don't overprocess your fruit. You want some chunks in your jam.

3. Add lemon juice and fruit to large bowl. Combine

4. Add agave to fruit and stir well.

5. Bring water to a boil

6. Put hot water in blender or food processor. Add pectin. Vent lid and blend on low 1-2 minutes until dissolved. If you do not vent your lid slightly the water will overflow when blending.

7. Add hot liquid pectin to fruit.Stir until well mixed.

8. Add 4 tsp calcium water to fruit and stir well. Jell should start to appear.If not continue adding calcium water one tsp at a time until jell form. The jell on this jam is softer than a canned or cooked jam.

9. Fill containers with jam until 1/2 inch from top. Cover and freeze immediately.

10. To eat thaw and keep in freezer up to 1 week.

Tip:
Once you take this out of the freezer it is so good almost freezing cold.

1 comment:

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

I love making freezer jam love these flavors will have to try this one!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin