Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Crockpot Scalloped Ham & Potatoes


Ham and potatoes are serious comfort food for me. After a long busy day there is nothing like coming home to a crockpot full of this yummy stuff.

Now I also love this recipe because it is so food storage and pantry friendly. Potatoes and onions are long storing items and I used my canned smoked ham instead of regular ham and this recipe turned out great. You can certainly use sliced ham for this instead, but I stock up on canned smoked ham (not SPAM, people, ham).

This recipe can also be made low fat with a few alterations. I will include those below. I didn't eat it lowfat, because frankly I kind of think it is blasphemy to buy reduced fat cheese. I am kind of a cheese snob; my grandmother was half French, half Italian so I can't help it.  But if you are diabetic or on a diet try it with the reduced fat cheese.

The Recipe

6 to 8 slices of ham or 4 small cans of smoked ham
8 medium potatoes -- thinly sliced (I used my mandolin)
2 medium onions -- thinly sliced
1 cup grated cheddar (reduced fat if you prefer)
1 Can 98% cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup (substitute 98% fat free)
paprika

Put half of ham potatoes and onions in crockpot. Sprinkle with 1/2 cheese. Spoon soup over top and sprinkle with paprika. Add another layer of ham and potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and additional dash of paprika.

Cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4 to 6 hours.










No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin