Monday, November 14, 2011

Butternut Squash and Greens -- New Fave Lunch


I work from home. Which means I eat lunch while working and if I don't have a gameplan, I eat bad fattening food. So, my new favorite lunch idea comes from one of my fave food blogs
http://www.emily-malloy.com/
Yes I think you should check her out.

Anyway she gave me this idea for lunch-- nutmeg butternut squash -- and I am in love with it. Once a week I go buy myself a small butternut squash. And twice a week I make it into a tasty satisfying lunch perfect for late Fall lunches eaten at my computer. No one else likes butternut squash in my family so instead of feeling all sorry for myself that the rest of my family is squash haters I have decided this lunch is all mine. A gift I buy myself. It is delicious and good for me and fills me right up.

I add some greens to the dish and it is perfect. My favorites right now -- Arugula or beet greens. Beet greens are my new favorite and not just because they are my favorite color purple. They are tender and tasty and I may just go build a mini winter greenhouse full of beet greens so I can eat them all winter.

The easiest lunch ever.

Emily peels her squash and cuts it into cubes (this cuts down on the cooking time but I don't want to peel a butternut squash -- It is a big pain)

Cut a butternut squash in half. Scoop out the seeds.
Put half in a glass dish cut side up. (save the rest for later)
Add about 1/4 inch water to dish.
Drizzle squash with olive oil
Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper
Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Cook in microwave on high for 5 to 7 minutes or until squash is fork tender.

Add spinach, arugula or beet greens to the dish and eat with bites of squash. Plus squash has a nice long shelf life.
A perfect seasonal dish that satisfies my need for something creamy and hearty once the chilly days settle in.

1 comment:

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

outstanding photo! Pure art at it finest.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin