Friday, March 16, 2012

Sweet & Sassy Lime Desserts


Happy St. Paddy's Day tomorrow. Oh how I love this holiday. Yesterday I had my annual lunch with friends where I served up some tasty green eats. It was a blast. This month for my online magazine we featured Sweet and Sassy Limes.

Lime is absolutely one of my favorite spring flavors. Of course I am going to ask you to visit the page for the whole article but I wanted to share the recipe for lemon lime meringue waffles with you here. My 13 year old son loves to make homemade waffles. I used this to my advantage one Sunday when I invited him to cook the waffles for our Sunday dinner. He wanted to take it up a notch. He found this recipe for lemon meringue waffles and I said Oh we need to add some lime to the mix.. Here is what we came up with. And they were just plain fun to make and eat. My husband said these taste like lemon meringue pies. So we should probably have eaten them for dessert but we gobbled them up for dinner.

Waffles
4 TB unsalted butter, melted
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp double acting baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ cup sugar
Juice and grated zest of one lemon (separated)
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp of lime zest (optional)
1 cup of lime curd
Meringue (recipe below)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Preheat your waffle iron.
In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar.
Pour the lemon juice into a large measuring cup that holds at least 2 Cups. Add enough milk to measure 1 ½ cups. Add lemon juice to a bowl with eggs and zest. Beat well.
Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients, and whisk until just combined. Add butter.
Lightly spray your waffle iron and pour ½ to 2/3 cups of batter onto grids. Spread with a spatula if needed (this is a thicker batter). Bake according to your waffle iron’s settings.
Place finished waffles in single layer on cookie sheet. Spread lime curd onto waffles within ½ inch of the edge. Spread meringue on top of filling. Using a butter knife create swirls and peaks.
Bake waffles until the meringue peaks are browned, about 6 to 8 minutes.
meringue topping photo
 Meringue topping
6 large egg whites
1/8 tsp salt
¾ cup of sugar
Directions:
In a large bowl whip the egg whites and salt until they form soft peaks. Slowly (a tablespoon at a time add the sugar, while continuing to beat. Whip until meringue holds firm peaks and has a satin sheen.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin