Saturday, March 14, 2009

Homemade Hot Cocoa


Hot cocoa with food storage whip cream.

I love hot chocolate and nothing attacks the munchies or the down in the dumps moments for me like a good mug of melty hot cocoa. So, I know that my food storage needs chocolate. I seriously suggest stocking your pantry with unsweetened cocoa. In an effort to be good to myself(I need to steer clear of too much sugar) I modified this hot cocoa recipe to be sugar-free. Feel free to sugar up your own stash of hot cocoa. I just really don't enjoy the sugar-free options at the store. I loved this recipe so much I am already on my second cup today. I thought this batch would last me awhile. Silly me. I also tried to make the whip cream from nonfat instant dry milk. Not really loving it so much. I have heard, however, that the Morning Moos brand of instant dry milk makes a better whipped cream. I promise to experiment with this and get back to you.

Recipe
I halved this recipe, except for the vanilla. I really like vanilla.
1 Tb plus 1 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/2 Cups sugar or Splenda
1 Tb salt
2 1/2 C powdered nondairy creamer (I used the sugar free) This is located on the same aisle as the hot chocolate or coffee.
1 3/4 C Cocoa powder
5 Cups Instant dry milk

In a large bowl, mix vanilla into sugar with a wire wisk, until fluffy and nearly dry consistency. Blend in one at a time, salt, creamer and cocoa, stirring thoroughly after each addition. Add dry milk. You can add 5 cups of mini marshmallows here. (I didn't have them)
Store in an airtight container for up to six months (Like it is going to be around for that long)
Makes 13 Cups or 39 servings.
To make hot cocoa, stir 1/3 C mix with 1 C hot water

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin