Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Red and White Chicken Chili in the Crockpot


I consider myself somewhat of a chili junkie. I would eat it way more often if my family didn't get sick of it. I do like to eat chili in all its varieties and this chicken version minus the tomato base got the thumbs up from the kids and I consider that a very good sign. It is also possible to stock every item for this recipe in your food storage or pantry. I also love this recipe because it easily fed my family of five with the added benefit of plenty of leftovers. The leftovers will make really great enchilada filling once I drain off some of the liquid.
Quick Pantry Tip:
I recently realized that while I was really good at storing kidney and black beans I had ignored some of the other yummy bean possibilities available, like garbanzo beans and northern beans and cannelinis. So while beans make a great pantry item, don't forget to stock some not so common varieties.

Red and White Chicken Chili Adapted from a Betty Crocker recipe

1/2 C. chopped onion
1 clove garlic (I used canned minced garlic)
2 Tsp ground cumin
1 15.5 oz can great Northern Beans
1 Can chopped green chilies, undrained
2 14 oz cans of chicken broth
1 quart or 2 large cans of canned chicken, shredded or broken into smaller pieces
1 C frozen corn or 1 can of corn
2 TB flour
1/4 C water

In crockpot, mix all ingredients except chicken, corn, flour and water.
Cover, and cook on low heat setting for 8 to 10 hours
Add chicken and corn to crockpot. In small bowl mix flour and water and stir into crockpot. Increase setting to high and cook for an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until thickened. Serve with cheese or lime wedges if you wish.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin