Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Monday Snack on Tuesday -- No Sugar Added Peanut Butter and Jam Muffins



Due to the fact that I was traipsing through the middle of absolutely gorgeous nowhere yesterday, I didn't get my snack post made or written until Tuesday morning. I did work up a monstrous appetite hiking with three kids. These Peanut Butter and Jam muffins are one of our old time favorites for snack and breakfasts. I love them because they are protien packed and are peanut butter melting mouthfuls with a surprise of your favorite jam tucked inside. I also love them because they are low on the sugar, but honestly you would never know.

You can make these with white flour but I opt for a mix of whole wheat flour and whole grain pastry flour. I also use whatever homemade canned jam I have handy in the pantry. They really are good with all jam flavors.

Recipe
slightly adapted from my Sugar-Free Desserts cookbook.
1 C whole wheat flour
1 C whole grain pastry flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1/2 C Peanut Butter
3/4 C thawed frozen unsweetened apple juice concentrate
1/4 C Milk
1/4 C butter or margarine melted
6 Tb no sugar added or low sugar jam. (Of course you can use whatever jam you have here)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 12 muffin cups

Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl.
In separate bowl, beat together eggs and peanut butter until smooth. Blend in apple juice, milk and butter. Add dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
Spoon half of batter into each muffin cup. Top with 1 tsp of jam and cover with remaining batter.
Bake 18 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin