Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pumpkin Sausage Penne



I have a secret weapon in my pantry. It adds flavor, color and veggie power to everything from dessert to pasta. I love canned pumpkin. I always have at least one can of pumpkin stashed in the back of my pantry. It adds variety to the standard canned vegetables and it truly is so versatile. I forgot how much I loved this recipe that truly does rely on pantry items. It's creamy and surprisingly good. I have to admit my two younger girls didn't love it but they are ridiculously picky. They pretty much only eat plain pasta lately. The rest of the fam gobbled it up and they never even realized its secret ingredient.
I did adapt this recipe from a Nestle recipe.

2 Cups dry Penne pasta
1/4 Cup dried onions
1 lb Italian sausage
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 can (15 oz) pumpkin
8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 Tb brown sugar
1/2 Tb paprika
1/2 Tb worchestire sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Cup frozen green beans, thawed or 1 can green beans, drained

Cook pasta for 1 to 2 minutes less than package directions, drain.
Cook sausage and onion in a large pan over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Reduce heat to medium and stir in remaining ingredients, except pasta and green beans. Cook, stirring occasionally until mixture begins to simmer. Add pasta and beans; stir until heated through

2 comments:

alice said...

I love canned pumpkin too! So versatile.

gaga said...

I've never used pumpkin as a pasta sauce. It sounds like it'd be tasty though!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin