Friday, March 27, 2009

Steph's Oatmeal Bread



I am so excited to share this recipe. I am no bread maker. I actually think I may have a bread baking phobia. But, I do believe you should be able to make your own bread, straight from your food storage or pantry. I am just still perfecting my technique. Luckily, my sweet sister-in-law is one of those people I consider a master bread maker and so I asked her to share her favorite bread recipe with this blog. I perused the recipe and I think it looks pretty simple (famous last words). I am going to give it a try. It does after all include one of my favorite pantry items, oatmeal. And I do so love homemade bread.

Steph's Oatmeal Bread

2 Cups boiling water
1 cup oatmeal
Pour water over oatmeal and set aside.
1/2 cup warm water
2 pkgs. Dry yeast
Mix together in separate bowl and set aside to rise.
Once oatmeal mixture has cooled down add yeast and mix together. Now add
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup honey
2 Tlbs. butter (do not melt)
6 cups flour, added gradually.
Mix until dough does not stick to sides of bowl. You may not need all the flour.
Let rise until double in size.
Knead dough for a few minutes, then divide in half, put in two greased bread pans.
Let rise again for 1/2 hour.
Cook at 350 for 30-35 mins.
After bread comes out of oven spread melted butter on top of the loaves!
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Steph said...

How'd it turn out?! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin