Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Lemon Rice Pilaf



Featured Pantry Items: Rice and chicken broth

Part of my goal with this blog is to try some of the common food storage recipes in my food storage books. So, this is one of those recipes that I tried and found surprisingly addicting. As rice is one of my food storage staples, I use it a lot. I get bored of the same old rice side and I am often left disappointed by those boxed pilaf versions. I thought this buttery lemon version made a tasty side dish alternative to my overused butter on the rice version.

2 Cups uncooked rice
1/2 Cup butter
4 Cups chicken broth
1/2 cup lemon juice (try to use some fresh if you have it)
1 tsp garlic powder.
1 TB parsley flakes
1 tsp basil
salt and pepper to taste

Bring chicken broth to a boil. Add rice and reduce heat to warm.
Melt butter and mix with lemon juice and seasoning. Add to rice and broth and allow rice to absorb the broth and lemon mixture. It should take approximately 20 minutes. Remove from heat allow to rest for a couple minutes before serving.

Tip:
If you store lemon powder in your food storage you could reconstitute for the lemon juice.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

What simple, but elegant side dish! I bet that would be lovely with some grilled shrimp and a crunchy salad! Ok, now I am getting hungry!

Oh, I want to add that you have a really cute site! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin