Monday, April 20, 2009

Pineapple Lime Pie



I may live in Utah, but I never make lime jello salad. At potlucks my fruit salad is always the plain Jane chopped fruit with a dash of cinnamon offering sitting next to all the tapioca jello "fruit salads." I just personally believe fruit salad should be mostly fruit. That said I somehow fell into making this pie reminiscent of said fluffy, lime salads. I love pie, all pies. And I always have an array of sugar-free jello and pudding flavors in my pantry and food storage for low sugar, simple expensive desserts. The original recipe from Taste of Home called for lemon jello, which I was out of because I love lemon pie.I substituted the lime, which frankly I am shocked was even in my pantry. It turned out delicious and I ate at least 4 pieces, which qualifies it for this post because I definitely went back for seconds. While you can certainly make your own graham cracker crust, I used a store bought crust. I always have at least one premade graham crust on my baking shelf. So indulge your lime craving with this easy pantry dessert.

1 graham cracker crust
1 package (.8 oz) sugar-free cook and serve vanilla pudding mix
2 Cups Water Divided
1 pkg (.3 oz)sugar-free lime jello
1 Can (8 oz) unsweetened crushed pineapple, well drained
1 carton frozen whipped topping (make it reduced fat to really make this recipe guilt free)

Directions:
In a large saucepan combine dry pudding mix with 1 1/2 Cups of water and bring to boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool.

In a large saucepan bring remaining water to a boil and add gelatin. Stir to dissolve. Stir into cooled pudding. Add pineapple and cool completely.

Fold in whipped topping; pour into crust and refrigerate for two hours before serving.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin