Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Artichoke and Sun Dried Tomato Alfredo
I am unbelievably proud of this recipe. It is one of the few recipes that I have created totally by myself. I entered it in the Buitoni recipe contest and while I doubt I won, some of those entries were pretty creative and unbelievable, it turned out really delicious and I have to restrain myself from making it every week because I love it so much.
When I took on the challenge to create a pasta sauce recipe I wanted to make sure I used food storage and pantry items because I wanted to share it on this post dedicated to such cooking. I am pleased to say that the evaporated milk, artichoke hearts, and sun-dried tomato pesto (I make a big batch and store it in my freezer to use throughout the year) are all food storage staples in my home.
This is a really easy recipe and all my family has enjoyed my invention. OK I should clarify -- all my family that loves marinated artichoke hearts.
1 Cup canned evaporated milk
1/2 Cup whipping Cream
2 Tb butter
1/2 Cup freshly grated parmesan
3/4 Cup of marinated artichoke hearts,
2 Tb marinated artichoke liquid reserved
2 TB Sun Dried Tomato Pesto (use store bought or the recipe below).
Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
3/4 Cup Sun-dried Tomatos (not packed in oil)
4 Garlic cloves
1 Tb Fresh parsely
1/4 Cup grated parmesan cheese
2 Tb lightly toasted walnut pieces
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 Tb extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1.Soak sun-dried toamtaoes in hot water for 5-10 minutes until soft. Drain and reserve liquid.
2. Plade tomatoes and remaining pesto ingredients in a food processor and process until well mixed. If paste is too thick blend in a little of reserved water.
Freeze pesto in ice cube tray for Tablespoon servings. Keep extra pesto in freezer until ready to use.
Place artichoke hearts in food processor and process until finely chopped. If using handmade pesto make now.
1. Heat whipping cream, milk and butter in a small saucepan on medium low heat until reduced by 1/3. Stir occasionally.
2. Add parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Sauce should thicken.
3. Add artichoke marinade, Stir to combine.
4. Add sundried tomato pesto and chooped articoke hearts and stir until combined and heated through.
5. Serve immediately with pasta.