Thursday, May 14, 2009

Quick Rice Pudding


Featured Food Storage: rice, pudding, raisins
Every once in a while I get a hankering for rice pudding. But with a busy hectic dinner time I want to be able to make a quick healthy version. So yes, I cheat. This version from Kraft only takes 20 minutes opposed to the 40 minute or 1 hour recipes. I also did not have instant white rice so I used instant brown rice. I also used a no sugar added cook and serve pudding. You can certainly use white rice and the regular cook and serve pudding. But I was happy with my healthy low sugar pudding and it satisfied my craving whether it was warm or chilled.

1 egg
4 Cups milk (I used lowfat)
1 pkg (4 serving size) vanilla flavored Cook and Serve pudding
1 Cup instant white or brown rice, uncooked
1/2 Cup raisins
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Beat egg with wisk in a large saucepan. Gradually add milk, beating until well blended. Add pudding mix; stir 2 minutes. Stir in rice and raisins.

Bring to a full rolling boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. This takes 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. The longer it rests the thicker the consistency.
Sprinkle with spices and serve. Makes 5 1/2 Cup servings.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin