Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Navajo Fry Bread and Navajo Tacos



Featured Pantry/Food Storage Items: Canned chili, Flour, and Salt

In my neck of the Utah woods, every festival, every county fair every street jubilee comes with a Navajo Taco stand. Fortunately, I don't always have to shell out the cash for this Southwestern delicacy; it is easy to fry up my own version. I have to admit I usually cheat and use the Rhodes frozen rolls but what happens when you need a little fried bread and there are no rolls in the freezer. It is so simple to make your own Navajo Fry Bread which is tasty piled high with some chili and taco fixings or dessert style with honey butter or powdered sugar. I also have to admit that I have used my husband's deep fryer way more often than I thought I would, but I was grateful for it with this recipe. You can make fry bread in any hot oil but I do so love the ease of our deep fryer.

Note: I added one cup of wheat to my fry bread because I wanted to see what would happen. I definitely think this is one of those times all white flour makes a difference. They were a little heavier than normal.

Recipe for Fry Bread
5 Cups Flour
5 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 C Warm Water

Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add the warm water and mix. Knead well until smooth.

Make approximately 1 1/12 inch balls of dough.


Stretch into 6 inch circles.


Fry individually in hot oil 1 to 2 minutes per side or until each side is golden brown.
Drain on paper towels and top immediately. They are much better when warm.
Makes approximately 12 fry breads.

Toppings:
For Navajo Tacos.
2 cans of chili with beans
chopped lettuce
1 cup shredded cheese
olives
2 tomatoes chopped
Salsa
Sour Cream

Dessert:
1 Tb honey butter or 1 TB powdered sugar

1 comment:

Chef Tess said...

Here in Arizona with some local Pueblo Indians, I learned how to make this bread and your recipe is so similar to hers it's almost scary. Gorgeous pictures too! Well done my dear! I'm a Utah girl too. Maybe we could swap recipes often. Love your blog!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin