Monday, June 1, 2009

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup



I have sickies in my house and so I decided it was time for my favorite chicken noodle soup recipe. Pure Comfort Food for tight chests, sore throats and an exhausted Mom. I have tried several recipes for chicken noodle soup over the years. This very simple version is my favorite. I had it at a food group night and I have very slightly altered the recipe to fit my food storage cooking. I did, however, splurge on the frozen wide egg noodles found in the freezer section. For me they just make the soup perfect. Feel free to use any noodles you have on hand.

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

3 Cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded. I used a quart of my canned chicken (a post for another day)

2 Cans chicken broth

5 to 6 chicken bullion cubes

1/2 cup dehydrated carrots or chopped fresh carrots

2 stalks of celery sliced

1 onion sliced

1 Cup frozen peas

1 Pkg frozen Grandma's brand wide egg, homestyle noodles

2 dashes of garlic powder

Allow frozen noodles to thaw while everything else is cooking. Cook chicken breasts and bullion in one gallon water, if using raw chicken.

I start with this step because I used the canned chicken: Add vegetables to water and bullion. Cook until sligtly tender. Add cans of chicken broth. Add noodles one at a time to pot. Cook for 10 minutes or until noodles are al dente, stirring often. Add garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serving Tip: Serve with a dollop of homemade sour cream or a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.



post signature

2 comments:

Frieda Loves Bread said...

The homemade 'canned' chicken works perfectly in this soup....this was the first dish I ever made with my canned chicken. I, too, have splurged on the noodles, but plan on making my own next time! Have you ever tried chicken base instead of bouillon cubes? It makes a great chicken broth!

Anonymous said...

Found you over at the Mom Blogs. This is a favorite at our house too. In fact, my son just requested it for his birthday dinner on Sunday. I was actually a little shocked!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin