Thursday, June 4, 2009

Orange Poppy Seed Dressing



I am on a semi diet again (ssh! I don't want to let my body know what my brain is planning. I become instantly hungry the moment I decide to eat better). As part of my dieting plan I decided I needed to eat more salads and that is Reason #1 that this beautiful orange poppy seed dressing had to be made. I am a big fan of poppy seed dressing. Unfortunately, it is a little over the top in the sugar department. This fresh citrus alternative may just save me as I launch my week of salads for lunch. It is nonfat and uses honey instead of refined sugar. The second reason: Have you seen the cost of salad dressing? If I want to climb out of an Italian dressing rut I need to start making some of my own dressings. I had all the ingredients for this pantry friendly dressing on hand. Although, I rarely buy straight orange juice concentrate. Next time I am going to make this dressing with the orange/pineapple juice I always have stocked. That ought to give it an interesting kick.

This dressing is quite tart but I am loving it on top of watermelon and spinach. If you want to sweeten it, add a touch more honey. All the credit for this recipe goes to Sue Dannahower who had it published at Taste of Home

Ingredients
4 tsp cornstarch
6 TB cold water
1 1/3 Cups Orange Juice
1/4 Cup white vinegar
4 tsp honey dijon mustard
4 tsp honey (add a little more for extra sweetness)
1 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
1/2 tsp salt

In a medium saucepan, stir cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir in the OJ, vinegar, mustard and honey. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Stir in poppy seeds and salt and chill in refrigerator.

TIP
Honey Mustard is a great flavor enhancer for many dishes. Buy an extra bottle next time it is on sale and add it to your pantry shelves. Also, spinach is a great garden staple. Plan on planting it this fall for Spring crop next year.

post signature







4 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks great! I totally agree with you that the cost of dressing is much too steep. Also, I can only take so much olive oil and vinegar! I'm always interested in new homemade salad dressing recipes.

Yeah for poppyseeds!

Frieda Loves Bread said...

Homemade salad dressing is a terrific way to cut costs AND eat healthier! Way to go!

Poppy Seeds said...

Wow. It looks amazing and yummy. Good recipe. Seems like something yummy is always cooking in your house. Looks delicious. I am surely gonna try it. Poppy seed is rich in B-complex. It is also very useful for health.

Anonymous said...

wait. what mustard? honey? yellow? wasabi? please post...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin