Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Tarragon Vinegar -- Add A Little Gourmet To Your Pantry




Every pantry needs a little splash of gourmet and flavored vinegars are an easy way to bring pizazz to your pantry shelves. I am a huge fan of the mild licorice flavor of tarragon. I often stumble across recipes that call for tarragon vinegar. Unfortunately, I have a hard time shelling out the bucks for a store bought gourmet vinegar. Because I love tarragon in so many other recipes I grew my own this year and promised myself at least one bottle of tarragon vinegar. Yesterday, I made one of my favorite crock pot dishes tarragon chicken, and I realized I still had no tarragon vinegar. I made do without but vowed never again and promptly made some this morning.

Herbed vinegars are so easy to make. You can substitute any herbs you want for this recipe but here is the tarragon recipe. I am going to include the link to the crock pot tarragon chicken recipe, even though it is not really all that food storage friendly, just to inspire you to make up some of your own tarragon vinegar.

Recipe for 1 bottle of Tarragon Vinegar
3 Cups White vinegar or white wine vinegar. (I didn't have enough white wine vinegar left so I used the stronger flavored white vinegar).

3 large sprigs of tarragon

2 large garlic cloves

1 tsp rosemary leaves.


Clean a glass or ceramic vinegar or oil bottle that has a rubber or cork stopper.

Place herbs and garlic in bottle.

Simmer vinegar in a nonreactive pan (non aluminum). Pour hot vinegar over herbs. Allow to cool and top with stopper. Let sit one to two weeks before using to allow flavor to mature.

So Easy, So Fast. You may get another vinegar recipe from me soon. I want to try a strawberry or blackberry vinegar.

Crockpot Tarragon Chicken from Spark People

3 comments:

Cookin' Canuck said...

Great idea! I have a bunch of tarragon vinegar in my fridge right now and I'm going to follow your recomendation.

Jessie said...

well I need to make me some of this because I can see it already, this would make a great addition to marinades!

The Duo Dishes said...

Great infusion idea. We've wanted to do this with olive oil and vodkas...well not all with tarragon, but definitely with something!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin