Saturday, August 15, 2009

Triple Berry Jam




Triple Berry Jam, be still my heart, I just love this stuff.

Now I realize that I have been posting a lot of canning, jam and herb recipes, but that is what I do in the summer -- A big part of my food storage plan is to store up summer's bounty.

My Boysenberry and Blackberry bush our having a heyday in my backyard. Unfortunately, I have yet to get enough of one berry at once to make jam. OK actually, we just can't keep from eating the little beauties as they come off the vine full of the taste of sunshine. I also can't remember which bush is blackberry and which is boysenberry. So I combined 2 cups of the black beauties with a cup of strawberries to make this triple berry jam. And seriously, its hard to keep myself from eating it by the spoonful. Oh I do hope I can hoard enough berries for another batch.

I basically followed the same recipe for my blueberry jam. I used my Pomona pectin. I still have enough from my original box left for another batch of jam. The Pomona Pectin is a very economical purchase for your food storage.

2 Cups of mashed berries make appx. 2 jelly jars.

Recipe

3 cups of mixed berries (boysenberry, strawberry, blackberry)mashed to make 2 cups.

1 tsp Pomona Pectin

1 tsp calcium water (packet available in Pomona Pectin)

3 Tbsp lemon juice

1/2 to 3/4 Cup fructose or sugar

Rinse, and mash berries. Add lemon juice and calcium water. Mix.

Combine sugar and pectin in a separate bowl and mix well. Bring fruit to a boil and add pectin/sugar mixture to jam. Stir vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes until pectin is fully dissolved. Return to boil and remove from heat. Fill jars to 1/4 inch of the top. Wipe rims clean and place two lids and rim rings onto jars. Process jam jars in a boiling water canner or steam canner for 5 minutes plus one additional minute for every 1,000 feet above sea level.

When done processing, remove from water and let jars cool completely. Make sure your seal is complete. Lid should be concave and sucked in.

Opened jars last for three weeks once opened. (Like its going to be around that long.)



post signature





No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin