Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Blackberry and Bratwurst Salad


Blackberries are one of my favorite things about August. During the last two weeks, my blackberry and boysenberry bushes are ripe. Every day for a few weeks I have between a half pint and a pint of my little black beauties. I look forward to foraging for a good 5 to 10 minutes each day in my berry patch. Which means every day I am eating them. I am also saving them. Whatever I don't eat each day I flash freeze and then add to a ziploc bag. I almost have enough for jam.

What are you harvesting every day? How are you gobbling up your fresh produce from your living pantry? This week my favorite blackberry idea came when I found a leftover grilled bratwurst. I always try to use my leftovers in new ways. This is how we use our food wisely. Turns out bratwurst and blackberries make a beautiful, savory/sour combo with the tender leaves of spinach.



Blackberry and Bratwurst Salad.

For 1 large meal serving. Increase ingredients as needed per person.


1 to 1 1/2 Cups of Spinach leaves
1 grilled bratwurst sliced
1/2 Cup Blackberries or boysenberries

sliced cucumber
2 TB craisins
1 oz of torn white cheese such as meunster, swiss or fresh mozzarella
A few splashes of balsamic vinegraitte

1 comment:

Donna said...

That looks wonderful. I always like berries in salad - another good combo is mango pieces, cilantro and goat cheese over a tossed salad.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin