Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Honey Orange Grilled Chicken

Seasonal & Pantry

The seasonal side:
Do you have makeshift orange street vendors on your city sidewalks? Here in Southern Utah the orange guy is hawking oranges all winter. They bring them from warmer climates. But the truth is oranges are cheap and delicious in January. I bought a giant box that was starting to go bad and so I juiced some of my oranges. For some reason the juice was a little bitter; must have been some pith that got into the juice. Anyway. I had orange juice to use. You don't have to use fresh orange juice for this recipe but maybe you have a lot of oranges sitting on your counter this winter too.

From the Pantry
Honey is one of my vital pantry items. It is always stocked on my shelves. I have found so many uses for this versatile ingredient from cold remedy to desserts. It is such a tasty flavoring for main dishes as well. 

Soy Sauce is also an important pantry staple. I often use it at least once a week. 

I borrowed the original recipe from Taste of Home. I did not, however, grill my chicken over a grill. Too cold outside. I also used chicken tenders, which are my chicken of choice over breasts most days. They cook faster and are more tender and juicy. 

The Recipe: Requires at least 4 hours of marinating time.

Abt 12-14 Chicken tenders or 8 chicken breasts
1/2 Cup of orange juice
1/3 Cup of honey
1/4 Cup of Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup of lemon juice
2 TB of grated or minced fresh ginger ( I keep my ginger root in the freezer for months. And just take it out when I need it. I minced it while still frozen)
12 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp of pepper.

Combine all ingredients except chicken tenders in a freezer bag. Close and mix together. Add chicken and close bag and marinate for 4 to 8 hours. 

On a hot griddle or grill pan heat a 1/2 TB of olive oil. Grill Chicken about 3 minutes per side. Until browned and cooked through.

Tip: A tasty side dish for this entree is roasted cauliflower.


 

1 comment:

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

I use a very similar marinade to this only without the ginger. I bet it pushes it to the outer limits of deliciousness. Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin