Saturday, August 4, 2012

Sauteed Beets and Greens


RECIPE TRIAL:
I love beet greens. I can't say I have always felt the same way about beets. But I want to love them, even it is just for their deep burgundy red. So, I decided it was time to try beets again. 

1. Because I planted a few beets in my garden (simply because I like the beet greens). But it seemed like such a waste not eating the beets.
2. It is my goal to eat something from my garden every day this time of the year and the beets are ready. 
3. I want to like beets. 

So, I came up with this sauteed beets recipe and guess what I can definitely do beets like this. I sauteed them with a few extras and I have come to the conclusion that beets just are not as good on their own. They are not a fly solo kind of veggie. I mean look how they grow all bunched up together. But combine them with beet greens, onions, garlic and some crumbled gouda and yum~! 

The best thing about this recipe. It can be made for one or many. I made it for one (I don't think my kids are ready for beets yet) but just add more ingredients as needed. 

Sauteed Beets and Greens
(For 1) 

1/2 TB of olive oil
1 beet sliced about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thin.
2 sliced rounds of white onion broken into rings
1 garlic clove minced. 
beet greens from one beet. 
Dash of kosher salt
pepper
1 TB crumbled gouda

Heat olive oil in a medium saute pan. 
Add onions and garlic to pan and saute for a minute.
Add beets and beet greens. 
Sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper.
 Saute, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until onions start to caramelize. I liked some of my onions a little crispy. Beets should to get tender and thinner pieces may start to crisp up.

Remove from heat and sprinkle with crumbled Gouda. Serve immediately.
 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin