Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Triple Berry Muffins


I had the most prolific boysenberry and blackberry bushes this year. We made jam, syrup, pies, sorbet and we ate a ton of berries right off the bush. It was my garden's crowning achievement this year. 


But we are finally winding down. And I am not pulling these jeweled babies off by the bowl full anymore. So it was time for some muffins. A nice surprise for my kiddos (I never make breakfast in the morning.) I also had some raspberries from the roadside fruit stand. I wanted something with a little lemon twist and so I googled blackberry muffins and found this tasty recipe from Southern With A Twist

I made a few twists of my own. I wanted three berries in my muffins and I needed them lactose free (for the lactose intolerant kiddo). So we changed out the milk and margarine. We have discovered that muffins and cookies are often the culprit of her flare ups when we eat out or travel.

  • MUFFINS:
  • 1-1/2 c all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 c granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • Zest of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/3 c vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 c soy milk
  • Juice from half a lemon
  • 1 1/2 c fresh blackberries, boysenberries and raspberries.

  • TOPPING:
  • 1/2 c granulated sugar
  • 1/3 c all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 c butter, room temp (I used a lactose free margarine)

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 8 muffin cups or line with muffin liners and set aside.
  2. Combine flour, sugar, salt, lemon zest and baking powder in a medium bowl.
  3. In another bowl, combine vegetable oil, egg and milk, and mix with a fork. Add lemon juice. Pour into the flour mixture and mix well. Fold in blackberries. Mixture will be quite sticky, so use caution not to mash the berries when folding in. Fill muffin cups to the top.
  4. To make crumb topping, mix together sugar, flour and butter (margarine). Mix with fork and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
  5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin