Sunday, January 27, 2013

Lime and Thyme Trout



Oh how I wish I had a good camera or at least good light when I took these photos. Because this fish was a thing of bright beauty on a dismal overcast winter day. And we have had a few of those lately in this unseasonably cold winter in Southern Utah.

This recipe is also kind of an oxymoron. My son and husband brought it back from an ice fishing trip into the mountains (They didn't catch it. They fenagled it off of one of their fishing companions). I stuffed it full of the brightest things I could find. Bright in taste and bright in color. A little taste of summer from a winter caught fish. 


In comes the citrus. Can I just say how amazing it is that citrus is in season during January. That brightest tasting group of fruits is sorely needed this time of year. It has to be one of nature's miracles. 

I looked around for trout recipes and they all looked the same. So, I changed mine up a little and it was so good. I picked the brightest citrus I could find -- limes. So green. I found some thyme I have in the refrigerator from my last herb harvest. Thyme lasts forever in the refrigerator or freezer. And I added my secret ingredient -- a little old bay seasoning. 
 Best seasoning ever for seafood and fish

Lime & Thyme Trout
1 Medium Size Trout -- Skin on and cut in half. 
1 lime thinly sliced.
1 Tb of butter, cubed
1 tsp sea salt
1-2 Tb of thyme sprigs. 
old bay seasoning. 


Line cookie sheet or rimmed pan with tin foil. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. 
Salt the inside of the fish on both sides.
Sprinkle with a little Old Bay seasoning. Don't overdo it.
Add  butter inside of fish.
Add a layer of lime slices. 
Stuff with thyme sprigs. 

Place fish on foil lined pan. Bake in oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily and skin pulls away from fish easily. Meat should fall right off the bone.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin