Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Meatball Stroganoff


This recipe is hands down one of my favorites. It is simple, it is delicious and it is quick. It has a space in my big black book of recipes. But what if something happens to that big black book of recipes. Losing this recipe would be kind of tragic. 

Especially, since I want my children to have access to it when they go off to college someday. This is what I would consider an easy college recipe. I try to develop recipes for my children that they can both afford and make when they are on their own someday. And then I teach them how to make it.

I already know that my son is going to live off of meatball sandwiches in college. He loves those things and by purchasing a premade bag of meatballs he could probably feed himself for a week. He makes them for himself all the time now and he is only 14. As I fed him this the other night and he gushed over how much he prefers when I make it with meatballs as opposed to beef slices. (whatever wierdo.) I knew that this could be an alternative recipe for the big giant bag of meatballs I know he is going to buy to sustain himself someday. 
 

But it is pretty awesome for this Mom that needs something filling and fast to feed her hungry family on exhausting, busy weeknights. You could use your own meatballs. But I am not going to lie, I keep a bag of store bought meatballs in my freezer all the time just for dinner night emergencies. You can also substitute a chuck roast sliced thinly, or ground hamburger for this recipe as well.

Meatball Stroganoff. 
This fed 6 people (it can be cut in half)

About 20 meatballs (if using frozen, defrost for 1 minute in microwave)
1 onion chopped
12 Fresh mushrooms sliced
1 Tb of olive oil or vegetable oil.
1 packet of Onion Soup mix
3 TB of flour
3 Cups of hot beef broth. or 2 beef bullion cubes and 3 cups of hot water
salt and pepper to taste
1 Cup of Sour Cream
1 bag of egg noodles.

 Directions:
  • Heat oil in a large saute pan. 
  • Brown meatballs and add onions and mushrooms.
  • Once meatballs are tender, cut in half. Cook until onions are beginning to look transparent.
  • Sprinkle with soup mix and flour and stir to coat. 
  • Season with salt and pepper.
  • Add hot beef broth. 
  • Simmer on top of stove for about 10 minutes.
  • Meanwhile cook pasta to al dente. 
  • Stir in sour cream and serve immediately over noodles.

 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin