Sunday, February 24, 2013

Berry Drop Biscuits


A Blueberry Biscuit Story:

It started out with a craving. I saw a pic of some blueberry biscuits on Pinterest. And well I have been thinking of blueberry biscuits ever since. I have pinned a few of those recipes. But they just were not what I was looking for.

I decided to go back to the roots of this blog as I developed this recipe. Many of the original recipes on this blog were my attempts to use my pantry and food storage to make delicious food.

I decided to see what I could find in my food storage to make this happen. Instead of buying fresh or frozen blueberries, which are expensive right now, I decided to use some homemade blackberry jam (made this summer from my very own blackberries) and some of Trader Joe's freeze dried blueberries. They have these relatively inexpensive packs of freeze dried blueberries that hold about a half a cup of blueberries. I have been stocking up on these things.

I was in a hurry to get food on the table Saturday night after running a big event all day. I needed simple and fast. I decided to use Bisquick instead of opting for scratch. At least one box of Bisquick should be in every pantry for quick cooking solutions. I also like it because it has no butter or milk like some mixes and we have to do a lot of lactose free baking in our house.

I substituted coconut milk for the milk in this recipe for my lactose free eating girl. I prefer coconut milk (the kind in a carton, not a can) over soy milk for baking because of taste issues. You can use regular milk in this recipe.

I loved these easy and fruity biscuits. They were on the table in 15 minutes. And we ate All of them -- more than a dozen.

Berry Biscuits.

2 1/4 cups of Bisquick
2/3 Cup coconut or regular milk
1/4 cup freeze dried or fresh blueberries
2 TB of blackberry jam

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Stir Bisquick and milk until well combined. Fold in blueberries and blackberry jam.

Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 10 minutes or until top starts to get golden.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin