Sunday, July 14, 2013

Meatball Tatertot Casserole

This is the easiest cheater recipe ever. I totally made it up one night when I was suffering from a migraine. Those things steal my days away sometime and I simply can't put a lot of effort into a meal. I still had to feed the family and this is what I dreamed up.

It was a complete shot in the dark. I am sure someone has thought of this before. It is that simple. 

Funny part -- everybody liked it. My son and his friend even went back for seconds. Which is perfect because this is the kind of meal a college boy can easily make on his own someday. I have mentioned before that my son loves meatballs -- especially the frozen precooked meatballs that just need to be heated. Some day in college I know he is going to live off big bags of meatballs. This recipe is a great alternative from meatball subs and spaghetti.

Meatball Tatertot Casserole. 
1 Bag of frozen tatertots
About 20-25 meatballs
2 Cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1 20 oz can or larger of spaghetti/marinara sauce
1 red pepper sliced (optional)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 450.
Line a 9x11 casserole dish with foil
Place frozen tater tots on bottom of casserole dish
Top with meatballs
Top with 1 cup cheese
Top with sliced peppers (if using. I only put them on half of the casserole)
Dump spaghetti sauce over the top.
Top with 1 more cup of cheese and  parmesan cheese.

Place in oven and cook 35-45 minutes or until meatballs and tater tots are heated through and cheese is melted.


Melissa Selin said...

Do the meatballs go under or on top of the tater tots?

Rachelle said...

Thanks Melissa. I will go fix that in the directions. They go on top of the tater tots.

Laura Starks said...

guessing the meatballs you use are not frozen (Trader Joes) - that they should be thawed .....


Blog Widget by LinkWithin
There was an error in this gadget