Monday, June 24, 2013

Coconut Apricot Ice Cream


It is apricot season. I bought a whole box because I NEED apricot jam to last me through the year. But I could not resist making some ice cream with these little beauties. 
We have a lactose intolerant child in our home. And one of the tragedies of summer is how often she has to pass up ice cream. It really is not fair to an 8 year old. So, I decided to make a dairy free version for her. 

Instead of milk or cream I used coconut milk (from the can not the carton) to make this fruity treat for her and the family. I really love it. It has more of a creamy sherbet consistency than homemade ice cream. That just makes me love it all the more. I actually prefer frozen yogurt, gelato and sherbet over ice cream most days. It is just a little lighter and refreshing.

I also love the hint of coconut. I have declared my love of all things coconut in the past on this blog. So we won't go there today. But the coconut flavor is subtle and not overpowering at all in this ice cream.

Eat this plain or add some chocolate syrup. 
Doesn't it just look like summer in a bowl?


Coconut Apricot Ice Cream

3 Cups of apricots chopped
1/2 Cup of water
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Cup of coconut milk (from a can, not lite)
3 drops of almond extract
1 tsp of lemon juice

Directions:
Cook apricots with the water in a small saucepan over medium heat until tender, about 8 minutes, Stir occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar until fully dissolved. Let cool until room temperature.Plan on letting it rest about 15 to 20 minutes.

Once cool, puree the mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth.  Stir in the cream, almond extract, and lemon juice.

Chill mixture  in fridge for 6-8 hours or overnight.

Freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
It will be really soft serve straight from the ice cream maker. To harden place in a freezer container and freeze for an hour or two. 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin