Sunday, May 18, 2014

French Apple Tart


This may be my favorite thing I have made all year. 
My husband's office has an international dinner twice a year. I paid tribute to my French heritage and my love for pies and tarts with an international delicacy layered in flavor.  It is ridiculous how many pie and tart pans I have. They need to be filled with French apple tarts or French apple pear tarts once a week. Delicious.



Every good tart has its secrets. Mine happens to be my hubby who can perfectly slice apples the same thickness. Nice and thin every time. I have issues with consistency. 
He has patience for this kind of thing.

But that is just one of the secrets. I made my own variation for this classic French dessert. I traded out brandy for Torani peach syrup ( the syrup you use to make Italian sodas.). I also made a second tart with alternating layers of anjou pear and granny smith apples. 

Apple Tart or Tarte de Pommes
1 puff pastry sheet, thawed
2 TB butter or dairy fee option, melted
2TB honey
1 TB Torani peach syrup
4 granny smith apples, peeled and thinly sized 1/8 To 1/4 inch thick or half Apple and pear
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp sugar
2 TB apricot jam
1 TB water

1. Preheat oven to 425℉
2. Roll out thawed pastry dough Slightly until about 10 inches in diameter.
3. Place in greased tart pan or from a more rustic tart cut into a 10 inch circle and place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Remove excess pastry.
4. Poke pastry sheet with fork.
5. Layer apple slices in slightly overlapping circles.
6. Brush Apple's with melted butter.
7. Combine honey, vanilla and peach syrup. Brush on apples.
8. Sprinkle tart with sugar.
9. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes then reduce heat tho 400 and bake for about 30 minutes until browned.
10. Combine water and apricot jam to make glaze. Brush glaze onto finished tart.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin