Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Quickie Baked Beans


Today I post a recipe that is just for the love of my eight-year-old daughter. She is a little different when it comes to her taste in food. At least different than me. The girl loves baked beans. She also loves anything with bacon and barbecue sauce. However, she would rather eat her noodles plain than with spaghetti sauce, she hates onions and shrimp and mushrooms and apple pies. Weird, I tell you. But because I love her I occasionally whip up some baked beans. And I say whipped because I am one busy mom and the bean thing is usually a last minute decision. So, while I will eventually post a made from scratch baked beans recipe, today I am going to give you the easiest quickest way to make those pork and beans from the pantry taste delicious.


Did I tell you she doesn't like her pork and beans straight from the can. Fortunately, my husband is a big baked beans fan as well (that's where she gets it from). And so just in case you have a bean lover in your house or you are trying to think of a way to add some flavor to that can of pork and beans on your pantry or food storage shelf, I bring you the easy peasy recipe very slightly adapted from my well-worn, well-loved Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.


This recipe can be doubled

3 slices bacon

2 Tb of dried minced onions (or 1/4 cup chopped onion)

1 can of pork and beans in tomato sauce

1/8 cup of catsup

1 Tb of brown sugar

1 tsp of prepared mustard

1/2 tsp of Worcestire sauce.


Cook bacon until crisp. In a medium saucepan combine all ingredients and cook over low heat for 15 minutes until mixture begins to thicken and is heated through. Stir frequently to prevent the bottom from burning.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin