Friday, March 26, 2010

Roast Beef Turnovers with Au Jus



Featured Food Storage or Pantry Item: Canned Beef,onion soup mix
Suggested Pantry Item: Au Jus mix. A fast fix for those busy nights.

Maybe I just like to say the word "Au Jus." I did take French for six years, my grandmother was French, I have been to France. Au Jus just makes me feel special. And apparently it makes my children feel special too. Because they were just delighted to use their fingers to dip these little turnovers into their own au jus. The rest of this recipe is definitely simple. I did not roast my beef all day in the oven. I can almost see my Grandma meme's lips puckering in displeasure. No, I experimented with my food storage canned roast beef and gravy. Seriously, I love that stuff. As far as canned meat goes, I am a fan of beef. However this recipe will go just as well with homemade roast beef. I love that stuff too. In fact, this is a perfect recipe for those roast beef leftovers. 

The pastry on these is easy to make and has a nice tangy subtle flavor that accents the beef and Au Jus. Plus they are just fun. The original recipe called for cottage cheese. I used sour cream -- because that is what I had. These are a fun dish that have made it into my big black book of recipes. They are keepers and fun for the kids.

Crust
1 C margarine
1 C sour cream or cottage cheese
2 to 2 1/2 Cups of flour
Dash of Salt

Filling
1 16 oz can of beef in gravy
1/2 pkg onion soup mix

Au Jus --
Au Jus Mix and water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine crust ingredients (start with 2 cups of flour) and mix until dough forms ball. If dough is too moist add flour in small increments until desired consistency. Dough will be a little sticky but should make a ball and should be easy to roll out.

Roll out dough on a floured board and cut softball size circles. I just used the top of a glass tumbler. This made about 15 turnovers. Place circles on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet

Combine filling ingredients and place  heaping tablespoon in center of each circle. Fold over to make half circle. Pinch closed and seal with the tines of a fork. Bake for approximately 30 mins, or until golden and firm.

Heat au jus mix and water on stove according to directions. Serve with warm roast beef turnovers.

2 comments:

Frieda Loves Bread said...

I've got every one of these pantry items! This looks so simple and fun to make...I have just a couple of cans of roast beef left. Then it will be time to bottle my own~

Pam said...

Love that Au Jus! The beef looks and sounds delicious. I will have to try this! Thanks!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin