Monday, July 18, 2011

Gramps' Granny Apple Pie


Now this is how the grandpas in my family would make an apple pie. Doesn't everything taste better when cooked in an iron skillet or dutch oven? Ok the grandpas did not make this pie. I did, in honor of all the guys in my family who are seduced by anything made in cast iron. I actually saw the idea on television while watching the food show Amusement Park Eats. At Dollywood they make this 25 pound apple pie in a huge deep dish cast iron skillet. Oh yes. This pie girl had to make pie in a cast iron skillet.

After all I have a huge box of granny smith apples in my pantry right now. Now usually I use 3 different varieties of apples in my pie. So I was worried. But it turned out delicious. This pie was a little smaller but it was more deep dish and just the right size that I didn't feel too guilty when I ate half the pie myself. I still used a 10 inch pie crust.



I also liked how the crust turned out. It was really flaky. I will share the recipe I used. As always I am in search of the perfect pie crust. I will reuse this recipe. Of course I may keep looking. The perfect pie crust is my holy grail.
The Pie Crust
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter flavored shortening (cold)
3 to 4 Tb of cold water

Heat oven to 375 degrees farenheit.

In a mixing bowl or mixer combine flour or salt. Cut in shortening until consistency of small peas or cormeal. Sprinkle 1 Tb of cold water and mix gently. Add more water until moistened. You should be able to form into a ball. It should not be overly moist. I keep mine just moist enough to roll out and hold together. Dip ball in flour and roll out on lightly floured service. Roll about 12 to 14 inches in diameter. Roll from center out towards edges. 

Place pie dough in a lightly greased 8 inch cast iron skillet. Trim and tuck edges under (This is not a fancy pie)

 
The Apple Pie
8 to 10 cups of granny smith apples peeled and sliced
1/2 cup of sugar (you can use a little less if you are doing the crumb topping and you like a tarter pie.)
1 TB of lemon juice
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1/4 tsp of nutmeg
1 Tb of Flour.

Toss sliced apples in lemon juice. Add other ingredients and toss to coat apples. Mound apples in pie crust. Remember they shrink -- so you want to make sure that your pie crust is overly full.

Crumb Topping
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tb margarine or butter

Combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Top pie with crumb topping. Place iron skillet on a cookie sheet.
Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until juices are bubbling and top is browned. If pie crust starts to burn cover edges with foil.

Let cool slightly and serve warm (or cold for breakfast). Yum.


Crumb topping

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin