Sunday, July 31, 2011

Taco Salad


This was one of my favorites growing up. And yet I can't tell you how many times I call my Mom every year to get this recipe from her. I keep losing it. So, although you may have this recipe I need to keep it somewhere safe. Like on a foodblog. Plus it is just plain delicious. I used to love it and now my kids love it too.

A few tips -- unless you are going to eat it right away, wait to add the frito chips and lettuce until right before eating.

1 lb cooked and well seasoned ground hamburger -- room temperature
1 can drained kidney beans.
1 to 1 1/2 Cups cubed cheddar cheese
1 cucumber peeled and cubed
2 tomatoes chopped
1 can olives drained
3 green onions  sliced.
3/4 cup salsa
2 Tb french dressing or catsup
1 bag frito lays
2 cups shredded lettuce

Combine all ingredients. Make sure your hamburger is not too hot or it will melt your cheese and wilt your cucumbers. Toss Gently. Serve immediately.

If you want to add the lettuce on top or on the bottom -- instead of in the taco salad -- you will be able to save leftovers.

Yum! Maybe it will be one of your new faves.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin