Thursday, August 11, 2011

Honey Bees and Recipes

8296155_s.jpg
Do you store honey in your pantry -- I am talking more than that bear shaped honey jar. Well you should. Honey is amazing. It can be stored forever and it is so healthy and useful for so many things.

There is a trend to buy local honey or harvest your own honey sweeping through Utah where I live. Can you buy local honey where you live? At my Southern Utah magazine this month we did a story on honey and beekeeping. I am a little fascinated with beekeepers. I wish I was brave enough and had enough time to start such a cool hobby. But my favorite part of the story is the recipes submitted by Southern Utah cooks.

I test ran a couple of them and can't wait to try the rest. I loved the swope bread which is basically the easiest bread ever and relies on staple pantry items. My kids are addicted to the EASY granola recipe submitted by beekeepers and the honey cinnamon butter is seriously sabotaging my diet.

Go, honey lovers, go take a look at these delicious recipes.

http://www.aliveutah.com/content/honey-trends-and-recipes

I am including the honey butter recipe from my SIL and amazing food blogger http://eatthehughesfoodblogspot.com


Honey Cinnamon Butter
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) VERY softened.
1/3 Cup sweetened condensed milk - chilled in the fridge
1 tsp honey
1 tsp cinnamon to taste
Directions:
In a mixer or with a hand mixer whip the softened butter until smooth and creamy. Add in remaining ingredients one by one. Whip mixture on high speed scraping down sides until it is all incorporated.
Refrigerate until ready to use. Remove to allow it to soften approx. an hour before you need it.. dependant upon the temperature in your kitchen. The texture of this butter with the condensed milk does allow it to spread even when chilled, however for the best creamy and smooth Texas Roadhouse effect allow it to soften before use.
Serve with fresh hot rolls.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin