Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Balsamic Crockpot Pork & Hot Pork Salad


Recipe Trial
So, for my first new recipe of the year I tried a recipe I found on my new addiction. Pinterest. I have to try those recipes too. But I will be getting to the ones floating around my kitchen on scraps of paper as well. I stayed pretty true to the original recipe but I added a few twists. Every kitchen needs a little tweaking going on. 

I buy these 4 packs of pork sirloin tip roasts at Costco. They are cheap but there are not a lot of recipes out there for them. Plus I ALWAYS need good crockpot recipes. I get tired of shredded Mexican pork.Don't you?

So I took this recipe http://sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com/2011/09/slow-cooker-brown-sugar-balsamic-glazed.html from Six Sisters and turned it into this tasty moist pork dinner.

Their recipe called for ground sage and I used a poultry seasoning instead. I loved this pork. It's a KEEPER! The glaze is really sweet but amazing. 

But my favorite part of this recipe was the next day leftovers which I made into a hot pork and spinach mushroom salad topped with a fried egg. MMMM!. I heart leftovers. That recipe is below too.

Balsamic Crockpot Pork Roast
1 two to three pound pork sirloin tip roast or pork loin roast
1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 Cup water

Glaze
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons soy sauce

Rub roast with poultry seasoning and salt. Add roast and water to slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Brush with glaze during the last hour of cooking time every 15 minutes.

For Glaze:
Combine glaze ingredients in saucepan and heat on medium heat until thickened. Reserve remaining glaze to pour over pork when served.

Hot Pork & Spinach Salad
(Salad for 2)


leftover pork roast cubed. (however much you want in your salad. I used about a half cup for 2 servings.)
1/2 TB olive oil
about 6 mushrooms sliced
3 cups fresh spinach
2 eggs
4 TB freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add sliced mushrooms and saute until they start to soften. Add 1 cup spinach and pork and saute until spinach is wilted and shriveled. Add remaining 2 cups of spinach and saute until slightly wilted but not shriveled. Some can still be crisp but warmed.

Remove from heat and plate for two people.
Add a little more olive oil to an and heat. Add eggs and fry until desired doneness. I like mine a little runny.
So delicious. So easy. And if I do say so myself, it makes this mom who works from home feel a little gourmet for lunch.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin