Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Iskander Lamb Kebabs W/ Tatziki


Recipe Trial #2
Here is how my dinner prep time goes. "Mom, when can we go buy my new shoes?" Mom I don't understand this math problem." "Mom can you sign my homework." Mom have you seen . . . 

You get the picture -- everybody in my family needs me the moment I start cooking in earnest. It is kind of ridiculous. By the time I sit down to the table I am just thinking. "hurry pass me some food before I pass out." Which is why I forgot to take a picture and all that was left for a photo op was this half of a lamb kebab. At least we know everyone liked their dinner.  


I love Lamb and yogurt together. They are a match made in heaven. Which is why I love these kebabs. I have made lamb before but never grilled with a yogurt marinade. 


There are two yogurt recipes here: The marinade and the tatziki spread which we used to spread on our pitas for kebab gyros. Yummers! 


The Iskander KEBABS from my 501  low carb Recipes cookbook.
Soak 8 bamboo skewers in water for at least an hour to prevent scorching or flaming skewers


2 Lbs of boneless lam cut into cubes (I used the leg of lamb)
1/4 Cup greek yogurt
1/2 Tb of fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove crushed.
1/2 tsp of fresh thyme. (I literally went and picked some from my yard. It is still growing!)
Salt


Thread lamb onto presoaked skewers.
Combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic clove and thyme in a bowl. 

Brush lamb skewers with yogurt. Grill on heated oiled grill until browned or cooked as desired. I like mine with a touch of pink.

Serve dipped in tatziki sauce or in a gyro with feta, red onions and tomatoes.


Tatziki Dip
This requires some planning. It needs to sit and rest for about an hour  and if you use plain yogurt it needs a couple hours. of preplanning. I love tatziki. I am mopping up the leftovers with a piece of sourdough bread as I write this.

2 Cups of Greek Yogurt (you may use plain yogurt but you will need to wrap it in cheesecloth or a tea cloth and let it drain for about an hour.
1 large cucumber, peeled and seeded, chopped
3 garlic cloves, diced
3/4 tsp salt
2 TB lemon juice
1 TB dill, chopped or 1 tsp dried.
1 TB mint chopped or 1 tsp dried


Place yogurt in cheese cloth or paper towel and allow to drain suspended over bowl for 20 minutes to an hour. Greek yogurt does not need to drain as long. 



Place cucumbers in a colander and sprinkle with some salt. Allow to drain in sink for about 20 minutes. We are trying to remove water from the cucumbers.


Add cucumbers, 3/4 tsp salt, lemon juice and garlic to a food processor. Pulse 3 or 4 times. Remove mixture, place in paper towel and squeeze excess water from mixture.


Add to Greek yogurt and add dill and mint. Allow to sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.


Use as a spread or dip with pita wedges, veggies or meat.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin