Friday, September 6, 2013

Cranberry Chocolate Pie and the Humble Pie Cookbook

Happy Dance! Happy Dance!

Photo by Ali Eisenach of Lemon Poppy Inc.

My sweet friend Ali Eisenach, who happens to be an amazing photographer and cookbook author just told me today she is going to use my recipe for Chocolate Cranberry Pie in her upcoming cookbook Humble Pie coming out this October. I am beyond giddy at the photo she took (see it above) that is thousands of times better than my original photo. Plus, I already have a copy of the cookbook reserved. I reserved it during her kickstarter campaign that ended up funding. I am just happy that she was able to find cranberries at this time of year so she could taste test and photograph this pie recipe I came up with last year. I love to create a new pie recipe each year. What shall I do this year?

For all of you Utah readers, Ali is a regular contributor on Studio 5. She and her fun pie party idea she had this summer are also featured in the fall issue of Elan magazine available on shelves or available to download online today. http://elanwoman.com/the-magazine There may be a few sneak peaks of pie recipes in this article (I know because I wrote the article). Go love Ali's Lemon Poppy facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/LemonPoppyInc.

I made the original recipe as mini pies but the recipe works just as well for a full pie.

Cranberry Chocolate Mini Pies

Cranberry Chocolate Mini Pies
Makes 12 mini pies or one 9 inch pie 

Ingredients
12 mini graham cracker pie crusts or 1 graham cracker crust (I actually bought the pre-made crusts that come 6 to a pack. But you can make your own as well.)


1 Bag Fresh Cranberries
1 1/2 Cups of Sugar
1/4 Cup flour
zest from 1 orange
1 1/2 TB of cocoa powder

Nutella (about 12 Tsp)

Streusel Topping
1/2 Cup chopped pecans
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1/4 Cup flour
1 tsp shortening

Create streusel by mixing finely chopped pecans with brown sugar and flour. Cut in shortening with a fork.

Pie Directions:
Heat oven to 375 degrees. 

Chop cranberries ( I used a food processor) and add sugar, flour, zest and cocoa. Pulse in food processor to mix together.

Spread a tsp of Nutella into each graham crust or slather it on to a full pie crust. Top with about 1/4 cup of cranberry filling for mini pies or fill just to rim on a full pie. Top each pie with streusel. 

Place pies on foil lined baking sheet and bake 20-30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is cooked. 

Let cool. 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin