Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Slow Cooker Fresh Tomato Soup




It is true, I consider myself simpatico with all things tomato. I love fresh tomatoes straight from the garden and I love things made with fresh tomatoes. However, I have never loved tomato soup. Ever! Until this week, that is.

My poor husband loves tomato soup but I never make it since my kids and I have never been fans. I decided I had deprived the poor guy long enough and so I promised to make up some tomato soup and freeze the leftovers for him for late-night snacks and sick days. I thought there would be lots of leftovers because I have never liked tomato soup.

Turns out I can change. At least when the recipe calls for fresh tomatoes. I loved this soup and it was so easy to make. Double tomato soup bonus points. I came up with this recipe by combining bits and pieces of several other recipes.

And that is how a new recipe is born. There were fewer leftovers than planned.

Slow Cooker Tomato Soup

 6 -8 servings

7 to 8 fresh garden tomatoes (I used a combination of San Marzano paste tomatoes and other slicing tomatoes.)

1 medium white onion chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 carrot chopped
1 celery rib chopped
1 TB brown sugar
1 Tsp dried basil
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
2 TB tomato paste
1 1/2 cans or appx. 2 cups of chicken stock.

shredded Parmesan cheese
milk

Chop and quarter tomatoes. I also removed most of the seeds.
Add all ingredients except milk and Parmesan cheese to slow cooker.
Cook on low for 4 hours.
After done cooking, use an immersion blender or blender to blend tomato mixture until smooth and frothy.
To create a creamier soup add about 2 TB of milk to each bowl of soup and top with shredded Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin